The purpose of this blog is to capture some of the high lights and low lights of just normal day to day life. Our life is loud, busy, and fast, but we love it!
_____________________________________________

6.09.2011

Welcome Emma Lynne

As I start writing this, it just occurred to me that if things had gone as we “planned” I would just be getting home today. Wow. Chiara told me, “That is strange.” It is a strange thought. I am a firm believer that every child should have their own special story, so here is Emma Lynne’s.
Our repeat c-section was scheduled for Monday, June 6th. I have never gone into labor early and Chiara’s dance recital was being held June 3rd and 4th, and I did not want to miss being involved with that. I was “taking it easy” as much as possible the closer we got to her delivery date…as much as one can who already has 3 young children and we had just moved!
I awoke at 5:00AM on Friday the 3rd and thought it was strange that I was so awake. By 6:00AM I knew why. While David was on the phone for his morning meeting I had a really rough contraction-not my average Braxton hicks. I went to the bathroom and sure enough, mucus plug had come out (I had to call my dear friend Stephanie to verify). I just knew this was going to turn into something. I told David and the look on his face said that he knew too. We went about the day, sort of preparing and sort of ignoring. The contractions were rough at times so I asked David to come home early. My friend Stephanie suggested a bath. It took everything away…..for about an hour. We asked my parents to prepare to baby when they came to the recital that evening.
When I spoke to my OB on the phone (a major perk of your husband being friends with him) he said he expected to see us at the hospital that evening. I was so glad he was on call…God really ordains everything!
We made dinner, ate with my parents, and then the 7 of us piled into the Armada and headed to the recital just before 6:30PM. It was a rough hour…contractions every 7 minutes. I was so happy that I did not have one during Chiara’s performance. She did such a great job!! At intermission we left. By the time we got home around 8:30PM the contractions were at 4-5 minutes apart. Every time my Dad put up the count on his fingers my head just went further and further into disbelief. The planner in me was upset. I had to kiss the girls goodbye from downstairs (there was no way I was going up and down!). The tears flowed. First from Chiara, then from Mayah. Chiara did not want me to go and was concerned. I knew they were both very tired. It pained me to leave them. Mayah made herself so upset that she threw up….great, even harder to leave. Four minutes apart…..David said we had to go.
The 35 minute ride to the hospital was rough. I felt every bump and I am fairly certain I yelled at David for touching my hand. I was pleased to get a text from my mom that all 3 girls were asleep. I could relax a little about that now. We arrived at Chandler Regional around 10:00PM. They took us in right away and I was happy that David had text the doctor-they were ready for us. When they checked me I was 2 cm and 80% effaced. It was time to head in to surgery.





On the way in to the OR I spoke with my anesthesiologist about throwing up at the beginning of each surgery. He felt up to the challenge to see that did not happen. I was not convinced, but liked that he seemed to enjoy the challenge. I hate the feeling I have before surgery. It’s like an internal shaking. I sat there ‘indian style’ on the operating table, leaned over a pillow, warming blanket on, and holding on to my sweet nurse, Kim. I did a breathing exercise that we had done in the bible study I go to every Tuesday night where you breathe in and out the Name of the Lord, Yahweh. I was calm and relaxed. Such peace.

When David came in I felt even better. I looked at him though and said, “Isn’t this surreal?” He completely agreed, which was so very comforting. I held his hand almost the entire time until they took our little girl out. I never threw up; I felt so peaceful the entire time.



Emma Lynne was born at 11:39PM on Friday, June 3rd . Hearing those first cries just takes my breath away. She was 7 pounds 14.5 ounces and 20 inches. Her apgar scores were 9 and 9. Amazing. I knew she was awake before her birth (she was always up until 11:30PM) and soon I would know how long I could be up for! I had her in my arms just before 1 AM and she nursed immediately. I love that David tells them no “goop” on the eyes until she has been fed! He rocks! She nursed like a champ and then proceeded to stay at the breast until sometime later….much later that morning. I had been up for over 24 hours, but did not care. She was perfect.

In my next posting I will write more about the few days that followed and her sisters getting to meet her!



1 comment:

  1. When I first wrote this I had the wrong dates.....crazy. Tired Mama's should have someone proofread their blog postings! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

Loving Thoughts.....