The purpose of this blog is to capture some of the high lights and low lights of just normal day to day life. Our life is loud, busy, and fast, but we love it!
_____________________________________________

1.01.2010

A New Year

Today was a different start to a new year than I have ever had before. No, it was not the french toast for breakfast (new tradition), but rather going to a memorial "Celebration of Life" ceremony for a former 5th grade student and her younger brother. I was touched and deeply moved by the things said by these kids about their two friends. I was overcome with emotion at the realization of the loss of innocence on the field. I was not a typical teacher, but a teacher who truly felt that each child entrusted to me in that classroom was a part of me. So, losing one so tragically gets me in my core.
I was blessed to sit by another former student from my first class. Aaron was very dear to me as he was diagnosed with a blood condition that year that prevented him from playing outside at recess-we spent a lot of time together. He is a young man now-football player, aspiring to be a fire fighter, same smile....
My 'kids' were not just kids.....sure, some came in and left both of us seemingly untouched, but there were many who changed me and I them. A connection that was unique and beautiful. I am so honored that they would make an effort to keep in touch-to hear that I am talked about or referred to after the years that have gone by humbles me.
This was a different entrance in to the new year. I have been looking at my girls so much differently since this accident. A reminder from my God that I am to hold them in my hands lightly. They are not mine to dictate their time line, their purpose, or their life. I want so badly to protect them from all harm, hurt, and fear-but I am reminded that I do not know what is best. He does. He is not ever wrong. Will I still thwart off evil as I see it coming? Yes. Will I cover their ears when innocence is about to be lost? Yes. Will I hold them closer? Longer? Tighter? Yes. But knowing in my heart it is not for me to decide.
I am not saddened by this, yet there is a strange comfort in it all. I am no Abraham, but I trust my Lord. Now, that is a great way to enter a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loving Thoughts.....